21 October 2009

Admiral Boom washes my clothes.


You know that part in Mary Poppins where Admiral Boom sets off his cannon to mark the hour, and everybody in the family grabs a vase or a lamp to prevent it from falling and breaking while the house shakes? That's EXACTLY what it's like when my washer here goes into its spin cycle. It just now hit (although 'went off' is probably a better choice of words), and since I didn't have the wherewithal to do my usual run-and-grab, there was a domino effect as all of the cutting boards toppled over (their bang startling me so much I think I let a little out), knocking over the basket of tea bags, which then up-ended the sugar bowl. It was awesome. Or at least, it would've been if it had happened to somebody else. As it is, I just spent a significant portion of time trying to get all the sugar off the floor before the mice discovered it and threw a party.That's right, little mouse friends. I hear you squeaking. Don't think I don't speak your language.

I've got to go hang up these clothes now. Somehow they've got to be dry for packing tomorrow. I'll have to put them in the airing cupboard and hope for the best.

Next time I see you, I will probably be on American soil and blubbering through my last London Footnotes post. Thank you so much for reading this past year.



Now if you'll excuse me, I need to change my pants.

8 comments:

Alissa - the Big Sis said...

That's so funny! I can totally see that happening to you as things like that happen to me all the time but only because I'm usually knocking things over myself because I usually have a little rugrat hanging around my knees. Whew! What a run-on sentence! Go English teacher! Can't wait to see you Friday! What's your new blog title going to be? P.S. You'll love this - the word verification for this comment is "holyoma"!

deee said...

Can't wait to see the new roadtrip website! Have a safe flight!

Jeremy said...

Safe travels!

Did you tell the kids you nanny you have to leave because the wind changed? And did you resolve the marital and identity crises the parents faced before you arrived?

(I could see you telling all your kids that you're Poppin's step-niece. Photoshop some family photos. It could work. Kids are gullible.)

LatinaDiana said...

AND Jeremy, as I'm sure you know, Sharona is practically perfect in every way...

(i'm in love with Dick van Dyke.. back then... and the penguin scene... and "rum punch!" *hiccup*)

sassymum said...

Of course all that movin' and shakin' going on is just to re-acclimatize you to all the movin' and shakin' of the West Coast!

Alissa - the Big Sis said...

That's funny, sassymum! What's with the funny-weird word verfications? This one is dianha, almost like Sharona's middle name.

Laura said...

And today I give out awards... one to you!

Kate said...

This cracked me up. Our washer in England liked to walk along the floor of our tiled laundry room. Spin cycle was always fun, with me running upstairs so I could get enough quiet to think.